Thursday, October 14, 2010

Let me explain

Just below there is an unexplained video clip of my grandson just after his first haircut. (A haircut I was not in favor of, for the official record.)

This video, this hair cut has nothing to do with this blog.

I have a few blogs. And one day a couple months ago, I was trying to get this video up on one of my other blogs so that my daughter who is in Panama could see (and hear) her only nephew (at that time) get his first hair cut. But no matter what I tried, the sound was not working. The visual was fine; there was no audio.

So I thought "I'll just go right over to this other blogspot blog where I successfully posted a blog of Connor and I at Ciara's Panama Fund Raiser Yard Sale." Including sound.

I uploaded the video here as a test. Same problem. No audio. I was pissed and frustrated.

I never got around to taking it down. Now you know. Because I'm sure you were wondering.

Regarding Less is Bliss:

The lack of writing and updates here might lead to the speculation that I've lost the Battle of the Bulging Clutter. That I've thrown in the tattered towels I purchased when I worked at Sears more than twenty-five years ago. Don't be jumping to conclusions over there. I have not given up, nor have I stopped at all.

I have, however slowed down substantially.

There was the sweet satisfaction of the big push of purging around the time of the Yard Sale and as we prepared for Ciara's departure. After that period, I had a stack taller than myself of empty 18 gallon Rubbermaid-esque containers that had previously held worthless, meaningless and useless miscellaneous that is now gone. A huge triumph. It felt great. I think at one point I counted over twenty empty containers.

Then life became consumed with my daughter's Panama plans and departure. All my energy (that wasn't absorbed by my hours at the library) went to Ciara. The stress involved in this endeavor is more than I can talk about here right now. It's one of those topics that I'm afraid once I start, I won't be able to stop.

The cleaning, the purging, the material cleansing continues but in a slower daily manner since the summer. Such a big chunk was eliminated in June that the process has become a more subtle, deliberate one. When almost everything in each box or drawer or closet is obviously junk, it's pretty easy. Chuck it all. But when the most overt stuff is gone, you have to become more methodical and persistent.

So now you're up to speed. Mostly.

Except today, I had a tiny melt down. I think I haven't felt enough progress lately and I began getting that dingy yellow build up. (Yellow being one of my least favorite colors, this makes perfect sense to me although I had to go to the dictionary to make sure I wasn't spelling the word 'dinghy' instead. I had no idea there was an 'h' in that word.)

The overwhelming discouragement lasted a couple of hours and it isn't completely gone, but I have a plan to re-energize the internal troops. A plan I couldn't conceive of earlier. An unforeseen but sexy plan. This always helps. Who doesn't love a plan?

So now you're really caught up. Pretty much. Kinda.

I won't go into the 'breaking news' that my middle child just moved from his house to a much smaller place with his wife and two babies, so therefore easily 80 percent of his household belongings are now being stored in my garage. In a less than orderly fashion.

Some days feels like no matter what my intention, no matter what my action, I just get further and further away from the 'less' concept.

1 comment:

  1. Kids need to learn about storage units. They aren't THAT expensive. ::sigh:: And here I am...talking. I'm glad you're blogging. Miss you.
    LEK

    ReplyDelete